This Chocolate Dipping Sauce recipe makes a thick, delicious chocolate sauce that is both an elegant and fun dessert. Think chocolate fondue, but without the hassle of using a Sterno burner. It is a great dessert for everything from romantic evenings at home to large summer parties.
When it comes to indulgent desserts my mind immediately goes to something chocolate. Something rich, creamy, dark, and smooth. A decadent dessert is not really in the category of healthy recipes, but it is nice to indulge once in a while. Just a little bit of something fabulous can go a long way to satisfying your sweet tooth.
One of my favorite desserts for a romantic evening (think anniversary or Valentine’s Day) is something to share with your significant other. You can split a dessert or, better yet, feed each other. Get your sexy on!
This is a great recipe for an indulgent, adult-only, kind of dessert. However, you can leave out the alcohol and make it family-friendly as well.
What Kind of Chocolate do You Use for Dipping?
Whenever you decide to make any chocolate recipes you should bear in mind that good quality chocolate is an essential ingredient.
Although there are many delicious recipes using white chocolate and milk chocolate, this homemade chocolate sauce recipe uses dark chocolate. You can use chocolate morsels or break up a chocolate bar either one works.
Can you Substitute Bittersweet Chocolate for Semi-Sweet?
This Chocolate Dipping Sauce Recipe uses semi-sweet or dark chocolate, but you can substitute bittersweet chocolate for semi-sweet.
Lazar’s Chocolate states, “bittersweet chocolate contains 70% cacao and has less sugar, whereas semisweet chocolate has 60% cacao. However, both of these chocolates can be interchangeable when used in baking, although bittersweet has a deeper flavor.”
How to Make This Chocolate Dipping Sauce Recipe
The only equipment you need for this recipe is a microwave, a bowl, and something to stir the sauce. It will take you only 10-15 minutes in total.
This is an easy homemade chocolate sauce, but this is not a chocolate ganache or a homemade chocolate syrup recipe. This sauce comes out very thick and rich which is perfect for dipping.
Also, as there is cream and butter in the recipe, this is not a vegan chocolate sauce.
Ingredients for Chocolate Dipping Sauce Recipe
For the chocolate, you can use a chocolate bar and break it into pieces. Or you can use chocolate chips.
This thick, delicious sauce requires only 5 simple ingredients:
- 5 oz dark chocolate or semi-sweet about 142 grams of chocolate
- 4 – 5 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon Amaretto or any other liquor of your choice, such as rum, Cointreau, or Kahlua
How to Make Chocolate Dipping Sauce
This chocolate dipping sauce recipe is made in 3 simple steps:
- Place the broken chocolate into a small bowl. Make sure to use a microwave-safe bowl. Partially melt in the microwave on medium heat. Stir every 30 seconds.
- Once the chocolate is half melted, add the cream, syrup, butter, and adult libation of your choice. Heat in the microwave on medium heat, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Remove the melted chocolate from the microwave and stir together well until the butter has completely melted. It will take just a couple of minutes, but keep stirring until it becomes a smooth sauce with a glossy finish.
If you need a family-friendly chocolate dipping sauce then replace the alcohol with one teaspoon of vanilla extract for deeper flavor.
You can also make a runnier sauce to pour over fruit or cake. For a little thinner sauce just add a little hot oil to the chocolate, but just a teaspoon at a time. Be sure to use a neutral oil like coconut butter or canola oil.
If you don’t want to use a microwave you can use a double boiler over low heat to melt the chocolate and make the sauce.
How do You Keep the Chocolate Sauce from Hardening?
This sauce uses some cream and butter that is melted with the chocolate. This keeps it smooth so it does not harden.
How to Store Chocolate Dipping Sauce
You can make this boozy sauce up to 2 days ahead. Allow the sauce to come to room temperature. Transfer it into a small bowl you can cover or an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
Before serving, warm up in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds or until you have a nice dipping consistency.
What is Good to Dip in Melted Chocolate?
This thick chocolate dip recipe is great with all sorts of dry ingredients. But you can use it as a fruit dip as well. Just make sure your fresh fruit isn’t really wet so the chocolate will cling to it.
Here are some great ideas to dip into this easy recipe for chocolate dipping sauce:
- vanilla wafers
- vanilla cream cookies
- pretzels – that pinch of salt is so good with dark chocolate!
- crunchy ginger cookies
- cream puff
- slices of angel food cake
- homemade churros sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or cocoa powder while on the cooling rack
- Pineapple slices
- banana slices
- orange sections
- dried fruit
You can also put a dollop of sauce on your favorite flavor of ice cream.
An additional treat with this dipping sauce is to use whipping cream or double cream to make your own homemade whipped cream topping. Double the dipping deliciousness.
How to Serve this Delicious Chocolate Dipping Sauce Recipe
Serve this delicious sauce at the end of a romantic dinner.
Check out How to Make a Candlelit Romantic Dinner for Two to get some inspiration.
Another idea that is a little lighter is this menu for a Heart Healthy Date Night Dinner.
To serve, put the chocolate dipping sauce in a small decorative serving bowl placed on a platter. Then surround the bowl with fruit kebabs, piles of your favorite fruits, cookies, and a bowl of whipped cream if you like. Place spoons in the bowls for easy serving.
Of course, feeding each other and getting a little messy is fun too!
Make this Chocolate Dipping Sauce Recipe for Your Next Romantic Dinner
This easy chocolate sauce recipe is perfect for romantic dinners like Valentine’s Day. Even if you dine out in a restaurant, skip the dessert and come home to this decadent yet light dessert.
Print the recipe card below and modify it as you like. I am certain it will become one of your favorite recipes for a delicious dessert!
P.S. Don’t forget to comment below when you make this delicious dessert. And share it on your social media accounts!
Adults Only Chocolate Dipping Sauce
- 5 oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate broken into small pieces
- 4-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto or Rum/Triple Sec/Kahlua/Godiva Liquor – if desired
- Whipped cream
- Vanilla Cookies
- Place the broken chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl, and partially melt in the microwave on medium, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Once the chocolate is half melted, add the cream, syrup, butter and adult libation of your choice. Heat in the microwave on medium, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and stir together well until the butter has completely melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy. Serve immediately with the strawberries, cookies, and whipped cream.
If you don’t want the alcohol, just leave it out. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract or a pinch of cayenne instead.
- Between Naps on the Porch, Metamorphosis Monday #732