This slow cooker recipe for Guinness Beef Stew is hearty and delicious! Perfect for your St. Patrick’s Day dinner!
Looking for Easy St Patrick’s Day Recipes?
If you are looking for an easy and delicious St Patrick’s Day recipe then look no further! This recipe for Guinness beef stew is sure to please.
The beef is cooked in a savory gravy made with Guinness beer, and it is served with creamy mashed potatoes. It is the perfect dish for a winter night. With step-by-step instructions, this no-fail recipe is easy to follow. So, invite your friends over and enjoy a hearty St Patrick’s Day feast!
Saint Patrick’s Day Feast
As explained by Wikipedia, Saint Patrick’s Day, or the Feast of Saint Patrick, is a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick (c. 385 – c. 461), the foremost patron saint of Ireland.
This delicious and easy main dish is a great addition to any St. Patrick’s Day feast. It is hearty, super flavorful, and easy to make. And since you cook it in the crock pot, or your slow cooker you won’t be stuck in the kitchen so your guests will be able to enjoy your company!
Traditional Irish Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker
Beef stew is a classic dish that has been around for ages. The ingredients are simple: beef, potatoes, and carrots cooked in broth or gravy. But what makes this recipe special is the addition of Guinness beer to the broth, which gives it a rich flavor and color.
You can serve Guinness beef stew over mashed potatoes or with crusty bread or an Irish Brown Soda Bread for an easy meal that your friends will love! Plus, if you have any leftovers, they’re even better reheated. So don’t worry about this recipe making too much!
If you’re looking for a fun and easy recipe to share with friends over drinks this St. Patrick’s Day, try out my Guinness Beef Stew Recipe today! You’ll be glad that you did.
What are the Ingredients in this Recipe for Beef Stew with Guinness?
These ingredients are readily available in your grocery store. No need to special order anything.
- Boneless beef chuck
- Olive oil or canola oil
- Yellow onions
- Tomato paste
- Garlic cloves
- Chicken broth, preferably homemade, but low sodium is a good choice if you buy the broth
- A Bottle of Guiness Beer – pour into the recipe first, then you can have a sip!
- All-purpose flour to thicken the stew a little bit.
- Light brown sugar to offset some of the bitter of the Guinness.
- Dried thyme
- Bittersweet chocolate, 60% cocoa is preferred again to offset the bitter of the Guinness and to enhance the coffee flavors in the beer.
- Bay leaves
- Carrots are a traditional ingredient in beef stews.
- Parsnips enhance the heartiness of the stew.
- Fresh parsley for garnish.
Is Tomato in this Beef Stew?
A little tomato paste is added to make the stew sauce a bit more flavorful. I add it to the pan and sauté it with the onions to caramelize the tomato flavor a little. This way the tomato enhances the richness of the sauce without the sauce taking on a distinct tomato flavor.
However, if you prefer you could use a can of tomatoes. If you use diced tomatoes just drain the juice before adding them to the pan to cook with the onions. It will add a brighter tomato component to the flavor of the beef stew, but you might like that.
You can also leave the tomato paste out of the recipe if you prefer.
What is the Best Beef Stew Meat to Use?
When you are looking for beef stew meat, it is a good idea to go with boneless chuck roast. It is best to make sure that the meat has some marbling in it as well because this will add flavor and help keep the meat moist while cooking your slow cooker Guinness beef stew. However, you can also use some short ribs cut up into 2-inch pieces. Delish!
Do You Add Water to Crock Pot Beef Stew?
You do not need to add water when you make crock pot Guinness beef stew. There will be enough liquid in the vegetables, stock, and beer to create a flavorful broth while your slow cooker beef stew is cooking. However, it is a good idea to stir the stew a few times during cooking to make sure that all of the ingredients are well mixed and coated with the sauce.
If you would prefer a thinner sauce, you can increase the chicken broth or add a little water.
How do you Make this Slow-Cooker Recipe for Beef Stew?
Beef Stew Meat
First, trim the meat of any fat or gristle and cut it into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Don’t worry about measuring. The point is to have bite-sized pieces that are uniform in size.
Then, pat the beef dry and sprinkle it with a few pinches of kosher salt and a liberal amount of ground black pepper. You want flavorful meat as well as a flavorful sauce.
I decided not to dredge my meat in flour before browning it as I want the meat to be brown, not coated with browned flour. We’ll use flour later to help thicken the sauce.
When the meat is ready, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the beef or however much you can fit into your skillet without overcrowding the beef. You want to brown your meat not steam it.
Make sure you turn the meat every few minutes to make sure it just browns on all sides. Don’t cook it through. This will take around 8 – 10 minutes per batch depending on your heat source. Once the meat is brown, transfer it to the slow cooker or crock pot.
Then add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and continue to brown the rest of the beef on all sides and transfer to the slow cooker.
Hearty Guinness Sauce
Add 1 tablespoon oil to the same pan and heat over medium-high. Add the chopped yellow onions and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Cook for about three minutes stirring often.
Next, add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste to the onions and stir to incorporate. You’ll cook the tomato paste for about three more minutes making sure to move the paste around the pan to caramelize it all and the onions start to brown.
Bring on the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until it becomes fragrant.
Next, pour in about half of the broth. The rest will be added, but we don’t want to overflow your skillet. Also add about 2/3 of the bottle of Guinness, the flour, brown sugar, thyme, and chopped chocolate. Whisk gently to incorporate, but don’t splash it out of the pan. Add 2 bay leaves and bring to a boil. You may have to turn the heat up a bit. Don’t forget to scrape up the browned, and very tasty, bits on the bottom of the pan. You can use the whisk or a wooden spoon to accomplish this quick task.
Finally, pour all of the deliciously complex liquid over the meat in your crock pot or slow cooker.
Final Ingredients and Slow-Cooker Timing
Now you can add the remaining broth as well as the carrots and parsnips to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Cover and cook on high 6-7 hours, or low for 10 – 11 hours. You want to give it enough time so the meat becomes very tender. Just before you are ready to serve, add the remaining Guinness and stir. This just freshens up the Guinness flavor. Garnish with parsley and serve over mashed potatoes.
Is this Beef Stew Hearty?
This beef stew is definitely hearty. It will fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied. The combination of tender beef, parsnips, carrots, and mashed potatoes makes for a delicious and nutritious meal. Plus, the Guinness beer adds a nice depth of flavor that really brings the dish together.
If you don’t want to make mashed potatoes for this meal you can certainly add a pound of clean fingerling potatoes or quartered red potatoes to the stew. If your crock pot or slow cooker is big enough just pop in the potatoes when you add the carrots and parsnips.
I really like the heartiness and consistency of the mashed potatoes with this beef stew with Guinness.
How Many Servings Does this Guinness Beef Stew Recipe Make?
This beef stew recipe will make about 10 -12 servings. However, if you ladle it over the mashed potatoes, which is highly recommended, you will have enough for a larger group or enjoy leftovers.
This recipe will definitely fill up your 7-quart crock pot or slow cooker.
How Long Does Beef Stew Last?
Beef stew will last for about five days when properly stored and refrigerated. Make sure to place it in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag. You can also freeze beef stew for up to three months. Just make sure that you allow the stew to thaw completely before reheating.
What can I serve with this Slow Cooker Recipe for Beef Stew with Guinness?
- Crusty Bread
- Traditional Irish Brown Soda Bread – Delish!
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes – Make these ahead and reheat to serve.
- Boiled Potatoes
- Simple Very Green Salad with Vinaigrette
- A rich but small dessert could be Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Irish Cream Frosting. Just a bite of sweet after a filling meal.
Invite Friends to Enjoy this Guinness Beef Stew Recipe!
Did you know that beef stew is a traditional dish for St. Patrick’s Day? It makes sense to have it on your dinner table this year, especially with Guinness in the mix!
With just one pot (ok and one pan) and some simple ingredients, you can serve up hearty crockpot or slow cooker recipes made using our easy recipe below.
You’ll be able to share photos of these dishes on social media too – they’re sure to impress all of your friends whether they are Irish or not!
Whether you live alone or have a family, don’t hesitate to invite over friends for an evening meal featuring this delicious and Hearty Crock Pot Beef Stew with Guinness.
They will love being served by someone who cares about them so much.
P.S. Share this recipe post on your favorite social media! when you make this delicious recipe please rate it and comment below to let me know how much you enjoyed it.
Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
- 5 pounds stew meat boneless beef chuck
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 2 large onions coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups chicken broth preferably homemade
- 1 bottle Guinness Beer
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 ½ ounces bittersweet chocolate 60% cocoa, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 large carrots peeled, halved, and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds parsnips peeled, large section halved lengthwise and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- Trim the meat of any fat or gristle and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Pat beef dry and sprinkle with kosher salt and a liberal amount of ground black pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the beef and brown on all sides, 8 – 10 minutes. Place cooked beef into a 7-quart slow cooker. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and repeat with the rest of the beef. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the same pan and heat over medium-high. Add onions a few pinches of salt and pepper and cook for three minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and stir to incorporate cooking for three more minutes or until onions start to brown and paste begins to darken. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add 3 cups broth, 2/3 bottle Guinness, flour, brown sugar, thyme, and chocolate. Whisk gently to incorporate. Add 2 bay leaves and bring to a boil scraping up the browned bits. Pour over the meat.
- Add remaining broth, carrots, and parsnips to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high 6-7 hours or low for 10 – 11 hours, until meat is very tender. Add remaining Guinness and stir. Garnish with parsley and serve over mashed potatoes.
Between Naps on the Porch, Metamorphosis Monday 682
Katherine’s Corner, Thursday Favorite Things